Arlington Life Shelter, through a gift from a local donor, purchased the building next door to the existing shelter facility. The building was demolished, and a 12,000 square foot two-story facility is being built. It will be connected to the existing shelter which will undergo major remodeling, re-purposing of the existing shelter.
The new facility and renovation will accomplish the following:
- Seven family bedrooms with the capability of housing women with children, or full families with children. This will increase the number of beds in the Shelter by 40%.
- Much expanded recreational, educational, and program space to serve children to give them a sense of normalcy while in the Shelter. Currently the Shelter has only one small room to serve children of all ages. The new facility will have space for toddlers, another space for elementary age children, and a teen room. All children will also have the opportunity to utilize the new open air playground built into the new building.
- A new and larger kitchen and dining hall is part of the new building. This will allow serving a larger population of residents more quickly and efficiently, while utilizing our faith community food teams.
- Due to space limitations, currently, residents must leave the shelter during the day and can return at 5PM each day. With the children’s space and other shared space, residents will be able to return to the shelter after their jobs and spend more time with their families.
- A computer lab with audio/visual equipment to provide opportunities for residents to upgrade their computer skills with a goal of better paying jobs. Children will also be able to participate in classes as well.A large classroom to conduct training and educational classes. This will provide space for outside agencies and groups who want to assist the homeless to present to large groups. Two smaller study rooms will also be available for small group training.
FIRST FLOOR OF NEW BUILDING/EXISTING SHELTER
SECOND FLOOR OF NEW BUILDING ONLY